Friday, October 11, 2013

Lament that the US Government will not let me view a waterfall

In riding my bike along the outskirts of a closed national park today I was reminded of the Ken Burns documentary entitled "The National Parks: America's Best Idea."

In it Dayton Duncan said this: "At the heart of the park idea is this notion that by virtue of being an American ... you, you are the owner of some of the best seafront property this nation's got. You own magnificent waterfalls. You own stunning views of mountains and stunning views of gorgeous canyons. They belong to you. They're yours."

Somehow, the American people have lost the right to that ownership.

Below is a waterfall that I was not allowed to explore today. Well, I could have explored it, but there is a penalty of a monetary fine. There is a maximum penalty of 6 months in prison.

Whose America is this?

http://www.pbs.org/nationalparks/




No comments:

Post a Comment